Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Easy Pickles

from Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons

Mr. Gibbons says, "The fat tender stems of purslane make a splendid pickle. While searching the literature for information on this subject, I came across several old English recipes for Purslane Pickles, but the all required more work than I was willing to do. I had a very simple recipe for unfermented dill pickles, which had served me well, so I used it, substituting purslane stems for cucumbers. The pickles are crisp and tasty , and now, nine months after they were made, they are still in perfect condition."

I usually make a gallon of these each year and stick them in the frig for storage. Very easy. LT

Mix:
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup salt
1/2 teaspoon alum

This is enough for 2 pint jars. I make 2 1/2 times as much for a gallon jar.

Into each pint (or proportionally more in a bigger jar) place a flower of dill, a clove of garlic and a small hot pepper. The jars are then packed, not too tightly, with clean cukes, puslane or other vegetables. Add more dill on top. Cover with liquid, seal the jars, (I just put on a lid or plastic wrap or waxed paper and a rubber band - LT) and store for about a month before using. Mr. Gibbons says to store in a dark place and it's unclear to me whether he heat seals the lids or not. For refrigerator storage, just covering the tops works fine.

No comments: